Friday, March 14, 2014

Adventures in Gluten Free Sushi

Being gluten free and eating out can be a challenge. But it can be nearly impossible to eat gluten free at a sushi restaurant when you don't like fish or seafood.

Last night, a group of us invaded Knoxville's most popular sushi stop, Nama, for their Thursday 1/2 price sushi night. With any group that large, the server has his hands full, but when you throw in someone who is GF, someone who is pregnant and can't eat raw fish, a vegetarian or two, and a couple kids who would prefer Mac and cheese to sushi, our server had his work cut out for him. Thankfully, he was knowledgeable and patient. He was happy to walk me through the GF menu and was quick to correct me when I mistakenly ordered something with gluten in it. Before my meal arrived, he even brought me my own bottle of soy sauce. 
So, what did I eat?  I ordered one roll and since I wasn't sure how I'd do with that, I also ordered 2 sides. I started with a house salad. It normally comes with a soy vinaigrette, but I ordered mine with their citrus vinaigrette. It was tasty, but next time I will know to order it without the sea salt sprinkled over the top since it was a little over powering for my tastes. Second, I had edamame. To avoid gluten, I ordered mine steamed and salted rather than chilled with sweet soy vinaigrette. Although skeptical about the roll that I ordered, I really enjoyed it. When ordering, I immediately sought out the vegetarian rolls. I settled on The Philly. The menu describes it as "mixed greens, tomatoes, red onion, cucumber topped with wasabi hummus, cilantro oil and toasted pine nuts". I describe it as "oh my gee good"! I ordered mine with soy papers, which were on the GF menu, instead of nori. It was so good that I am not only willing to go back to Nama, but I am eager too.
 I'm still learning to eat Gluten Free, but as my adventures take me out of my comfort zone I am learning that there is delicious food available at every turn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment