Monday, March 17, 2014

Grilled Pesto Chicken with Espresso-Balsamic Glaze

So some nights there just isn't time to prepare a menu and grocery shop.  Some nights there's time but you just don't feel like it.  This meal transpired from a night similar to that.  Dinner time was staring me in the face and I had nothing up my sleeve planned.  When I opened my fridge the ingredient that sparked this meal was a half full container of pesto from Tomato Head.  For those of you who aren't familar, it happens to be the greatest pesto in all of the world.  I threw a few ingredients in a large ziploc bag and a marinade was born.  I was surprised how easy this came together and also how flavorful the chicken turned out.  I served this with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes and Parmesan Fingerlings with Carmelized Onions and Fennel.  I have a feeling that this is going to be a summer time go-to recipe for me.

Grilled Pesto Chicken with Espresso-Balsamic Glaze  (1-5 Star Rating System)
Erika: 9
Brent: NA
Brennan: 9 (His favorite part was the glaze.)
Drew: 8

Ingredients
  • 3-4  chicken breast halves
  • 3/4 cup pesto
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • juice of 1/2 of a lemon
  • 1 tsp garlic powder (I would have used freshly minced garlic but somehow I didn't have any)
Glaze
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp instant espresso powder
Instructions
  1. Place chicken breasts in a ziploc bag and pound to your desired thickness.
  2. Toss together the ingredients for the chicken and marinade in a ziploc bag and set aside for about an hour in the fridge.  Make sure to flip it, periodically.  
  3. Place brown sugar and vinegar in a saucepan on medium heat.  Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer.  Add the instant espresso and allow to thicken,  about 30 minutes.  
  4. Meanwhile, when ready to grill the chicken, preheat grill to 375º-450º.  Once preheated, grill chicken to have an internal temperature of 160º, about 5 minutes per side.  
  5. Allow to rest for a few minutes.  Once plated, drizzle balsamic glaze over the top and enjoy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment